Tuesday 15 September 2009

Sunday a day of study and a Curry house!

The warm feeling of sun and the head of India woke me up at about 10:30, I looked at my Iphone, saw the time, smiled and rolled over for more sleep. A knock at the door around11:30 woke me up and it was the manager of the accommodation asking if i wanted to order pizza for lunch, I ordered a peperoni pizza from Pizza hut and decided that my lay-in was over. Jason was outside with a selection of fine Cuban cigars, he was contemplating which to enjoy on his Sunday afternoon. We chatted about guy stuff and the course.

My lay-in being cut short I showered and got ready for lunch. I have 2 exams on Monday so I must make a little time for revision (easy MCDST so not that much). Pizza arrived and was enjoyed! As we sat down for lunch Andy, Jason and I decided that we would celebrate our day off in style. At 5pm we would meet and get a vikeram into Dehredun and go to the Black pepper a local famous curry house. Until then I was to be buried in books and revising for exams. Eventually 5pm came around and we gathered for the trip. Now public transport in India is a story within its self, you have as expected various levels of transportation:

The end of the world Prison buses with bars not windows, these barely stop to pick you up and dont stop to drop you off.
Vickerams, these are blue 3 wheeled motor scooters with a 2 benches and a roof, these cost about 8Rs per person and they will happily try to carry 12 even though they seat 4/5, it has been known for these to get so overloaded people have to get out to go up hill.
Tuk Tuks, think of a posh Vickeram that you hire rather than squat in, these are black and yellow, cost about 80Rs to town (but worth the £1).

Scooters, these are used by everyone, not sure about the legality of a helmet, insurance or even a driving licence for that matter. I have seen a 50cc scooter carry a man with a child on his lap, 2 children behind him and his wife on the back holding them all on... Only in India!

Cars, these vary but they tend to favour Suzuki swifts or expensive Hondas! Ill get a selection of cars on the road in my next blog. No matter what car all card have their wind mirrors folded in or removed, those extra few inches mean you can squeeze passed another car.

We hailed a Vickeram and there were only 2 people in it, we thought "great an easy ride into town".



Jason, Andy and myself in a Vickeram, cosy and this with just 3!


Well it was too good to be true and eventually lots of bony bummed Indians jockied for a few square inches of seats. We managed 9 people, and the driver was still soliciting for more business!
Well we managed to stop next to Black pepper and felt like a beer was in order!



The majestic Black pepper.

We ordered 3 Haywwods 5000, the waiter left, a few minutes later "sorry we don't have any Haywoods, would you like fosters strong?" "yes that would be fine". A few minutes later "sorry we don't have any Fosters strong would you like Kingfisher strong?". "yes that would be fine". Eventually the beer came and was ice cold and very much enjoyed. We all received menus and to us Brits this was a real slice of home with only slight changes to the menus we would choose from on a weekend night in England. Jason being the token American had no idea what was what so we ordered. We started with Poppadoms and chutney, Lamb boti kebabs, Chicken taka tak, Chicken Karai, Keema nan, Garlic nan, Butter nan and a mild mutton curry for Jason. All washed down with another Kingfisher. The service in Black Pepper is second to none and they just couldn't do enough for us, the restaurant started to fill up a little about 8:45.









The 3 Amigos Andy, Myself and Jason.

The feast went on until about 9:30 having enjoyed over 4 hours of food and beer we waddled outside to get a lift home. After a brief discussion we decided that in out bloated seat we would shell out the 100Rs for a ride home in near comfort, and hailed a Tuk Tuk.

Rested relaxed and contented I spent an hour or so studying for my exams in the morning.

4 comments:

  1. What, no chicken tikka masala??!! You cultural heathen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol and you managed to wa..... no wait i've seen you do that before :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Steve,

    Thanks for the detailed Koenig Solutions Review. This post is indeed very informative. I am also planning to take up my MCSE training in Dehradun. I will post my Koenig Solutions Feedback once I am done with the course.

    Regards
    Roggers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your blog. It helped me prepare for my trip. I stayed in Dehradun from January to July 2011. I took over 40 exams. The Country House rocks. Sanjay is the best. Papiya is now the Center Manager. Had some issues with class scheduling with her but it all work out in the end. Spent two weeks after traveling India. Did not think I'd stay more than a couple weeks. After 6 months it was hard to leave.

    John USA

    ReplyDelete